When choosing a new deck, many people are encouraged to pick something that resonates with their consciousness. Images that stimulate the subconscious mind is the goal however, it’s best to start with the basic cards with the traditional imagery.
The Traditional Rider-Waite Tarot decks are the best decks to start with. It is recommended to because the numerology, symbolism and tarot card meanings inspire hundreds of other interpretative decks. Also, don’t mistake the classic 78-card deck with an Oracle card deck. They’re not the same thing, and in some instances, the numerology is differently associated.
It’s still unclear where the Tarot card “game” original began but throughout hundreds of years, tarot cards have been played all over the world. The original deck was designed by Pamela Coleman Smith who lived as a struggling artist between New York, London and Kingston, Jamaica. Her illustrations of the Tarot are reflected in the original Rider-Waite Deck (below).
Below is a list of Tarot Card decks that are best for beginner tarot card readers.
- Universal Waite Tarot Deck
- Universal Tarot deck by Llewellyn Publications
- Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot Deck by U S Games Systems
- The Good Tarot: A 78-Card Deck and Guidebook by Lifestyles
- The Gilded Tarot by Llewellyn Publications
- Golden Universal Tarot Deck by Llewellyn Publications
- Easy Tarot: Learn to Read the Cards Once and For All! by Llewellyn Publications